Hitting the news this week –
- Confirmatory blood tests for celiac disease are 4 times more common now than 55 years ago Video clip – WSJ
- Gluten intolerance – not true celiac disease – is being noted with increasing frequency Article – WSJ
- Celiac disease and gluten intolerance are associated with numerous chronic illnesses – serious infections, heart disease, and neurologic disorders
Every one is trying to figure out what is going on here.
- One theory blames high protein (gluten) content in modern wheat strains.
- Another blames the increase in wheat products currently in nearly all processed foods.
- I propose an alternative culprit – the low levels of vitamin D currently affecting 77% of all Americans.
Why vitamin D?